Addicted to Ink

Monday, April 03, 2006

brown


Forgive me if I've told you this story already. But I love it. (Oh, and Rachel said I should blog it!)

My niece (my best friend's little girl) is gorgeous. And sweet. And knows she has her Aunt Amber wrapped around her little finger...okay, okay, so that wasn't very hard to do.

She's two and a half. Her mama, though like me was a communications major, has always worked in more the social work kinda field. And in her job-before-her-current-one, she worked for this agency that offered services to children to make sure that they were developing properly. So she signed her daughter up, just to confirm E was as developing as well as we thought she was!

One day several months ago, C's co-worker was at their house. She was in the kitchen, which adjoins the dining room. He was in the dining room with E and handed E a piece of paper or something. As he stuck his hand out, E, who is learning her colors, took his hand and her velvety brown eyes widened in sudden realization.

"Mommy!" E said, running into the kitchen. "He's brown!"
Her coworker laughed. C smiled.
"That's right," she said.
E looked at her own hand. "Mommy!" E squealed. "I'm brown, too!"
Then she looked at her mother. "Mommy--you're white!" E said. She thought for a moment. "Daddy's white, too," she informed her mom.

E thinks her skin color is the greatest thing--she's very proud to be different. I hope it is always this way.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this story. So cute.

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home