Addicted to Ink

Monday, March 03, 2008

Now

Carefully holding onto him, I placed my infant son on the pillow next to the head of my ailing grandmother and all I could see was beauty.

Her eyes lit up for an instant, a brief grasp of the here and now.

"Baby," she murmured, turning her head toward Dominic.

Those seconds felt so profound, so spiritual, so powerful. The tiny rounded face and silky clear hair and huge blue eyes that trust me so completely. The only-a-little bigger face with beautiful wrinkles and wisdom and pain and soft white hair curling at the ends and blue gray eyes that size me up with love and maternal pride.

The past. The present. The future. All in one moment.

The beginning of life. The end of life. The Now.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay now I remember why I have not read your blog in a while.....BECAUSE I cry every time I read them:D No matter what the topic. BUT ESPECIALLY the topic this time. God has given you SUCH a talent to tug at the heartstrings of every person who reads what you write..and if not, I think they should check their pulse. That was beautiful and artistic. The words you wrote are what I felt when Aunt Cindy emailed me those photos.

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was of course me by the way-Allissa

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a sad sweet time....

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home